Saturday, April 14, 2012

Banana Mocha Pie

This is pretty common pie or pastry at Finland, quite simple to bake yet very tasteful. I decided to try my luck with cookie stamps. Despite yesterday was friday the 13th, I was so lucky.

In finnish this is called mokkapala, since it is often baked without bananas. My personal taste is towards banana mocha pie, because it reminds me about years I spent at local book cafe, Turku Book Cafe (Turun kirjakahvila in finnish). They serve almost legendary pie, which is also vegan version. Baking this pie was really fun and having good success with cookie stamps was amazing. 

Banana Mocha Pie

5 dl wheat flour
2.5 dl sugar
2.5 dl milk
5 small eggs
2  bananas (brown and soft ones are best!)
3 tsp baking powder
4-5 tablespoons of cocoa powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
200 g butter or margarine

Beat the eggs and sugar well. Add the flour mixed with baking powder, and other dry ingredients. Add melted butter and milk. Mash the banana with a fork and add in to dough. Pour pretty liquid dough on cookie sheet and bake for about 15 minutes in the oven 200 ° C for medium level. You don't wanna overbake it, because it would dry out. Banana gives this pie moist texture even after days.

Icing

50 g butter
Confectioner's sugar  300 g + quantity of glaze to be a more rigid
5 tablespoons strong coffee
1 tablespoon cocoa powder

I don't have experience how icing would behave if done normally.  This time I added bit extra sugar, so icing would be pretty thick while adding above cooled pie. I used cookie stamps after icing was solid enough, in this case overnight. If you use stamps carefully, edges will remain quite nice.